Holidays come with a multitude of treats that can quickly damage your teeth, making your smile less perfect than you would like. With a little effort, you can enjoy your holiday and still have a healthy smile as the New Year approaches.
- Keep Up the Cleaning Routine – Now isn’t the time to forget about brushing and flossing daily. Make sure to keep brushing and flossing regularly.
- Limit the Hard, Sticky and Chewy Snacks – Chewy and sticky treats stay with you long after the candy is gone, slowly eating away at your enamel. Hard candies can damage the coating on your teeth. This is a time when chocolate can be your best choice!
- Chew Sugarless Gum– When you can’t brush, chewing sugarless gum can help clean food off your teeth.
- Your Teeth Aren’t Tools – Don’t use them to open packages, hold items or aid in anything else but eating.
- Eat Fresh Fruits and Veggies – Fresh, raw fruits and vegetables help cleanse your teeth, provide essential vitamins and aid in the digestion process. Reach for the celery first.
- Drink Water – Coffee, tea and hot cocoa may warm you up on cold days, but they can also stain your teeth. Limit these drinks and drink water whenever you can. Besides being good for you, it also cleans your teeth when you can’t brush.
- Use Baking Soda– Adding a bit of baking soda to your toothbrush will help eliminate some of the food items still hanging around. It also polishes your pearly whites, giving them a whiter look than mere toothpaste can ever do.
With a little foresight, you can come through the season with a healthy smile and bright, white teeth. In addition to having a healthier smile, you can enter the New Year with festive spirits and enjoy the fun treats.