It is quite common to receive injuries while playing. Playing without a mouth guard exposes us to various kinds of risks such as chipped teeth, cracked teeth and even teeth loss. If the child loses a baby tooth prematurely, you do not need to replace it but if your permanent tooth is affected, it calls for a dental emergency.
Following first aid tips should be followed in case of a dental injury:
Collect Teeth Fragments
- Handle teeth skillfully as damage may affect re-implantation.
- Touch the crown or top part of the tooth. Avoid touching the root of the tooth.
- Rinse the tooth in a bowl filled with lukewarm water for 10 seconds only if the tooth has dirt on it. Never scrub and scrape. Alcohol can be used to remove dirt.
Store or Re-Insert Teeth
- Your mouth should be rinsed with warm water
- Try re-inserting the permanent teeth into the right sockets and ask the person to bite on a gauze pad to hold the teeth in place.
- Store the permanent teeth in milk or between your cheek and gum to avoid drying in case if you are unable to reinsert them.
How to Treat Symptoms
- Use sterile gauze or cloth to stop bleeding
- Apply a cool compress for pain and swelling
- Take ibuprofen and acetaminophen for pain
Get a Dentist’s Help
- For the treatment of knocked-out teeth, visit a dentist as soon as possible. Carry the teeth or the fragments of the teeth with you. Despite the successful re-insertion of teeth, you must visit a dentist.
- If a tooth is chipped or broken, do not hesitate to call your dentist.
In Case of an Emergency:
You should call 911 if the person has received serious dental injuries and is unconscious. If a permanent tooth has been knocked out, it is a dental emergency. A knocked-out tooth that is re-implanted within 30 minutes is successful in most of the cases.
Follow the above mentioned basic first aid tips if you or your loved one has got tooth injuries.
Reign Dental based at Shoreline, WA offers a wide array of dental services at a reasonable price. For more information about our services or any query related to tooth injuries, call us at (206) 946-6471.
Reign Dental is one of the most sought after dental care providers in Seattle area to offer complete dental care. We are among a few dental clinics that provide a wide range of dentistry services including oral & maxillofacial surgery, TMJ treatment, Botox, orthodontics, periodontics and all other advanced dental solutions. Highly professional dentists working with us specialize in dental implants, bone grafting, smile makeover and oral surgery. We are well-known for our safe and patient-specific care approach. We offer affordable and quality dental care services. We make sure that our customers walk out of our clinic with a big beautiful smile.