You need a dental deep cleaning (periodontal checkup) when you have:
- Swollen and bleeding gums
- Bad breath
- Loose teeth
- Teeth sensation
- Gum receding that causes longer teeth appearance
- Extreme pain in gums while biting or chewing
- Puss formation between teeth
Do you have swollen gums? Do they bleed or turn red after brushing? And, do you feel sensation in your teeth, and/or are they loose? Better beware, as these are warning signs of a gum disease calling for a periodontal treatment.
47% of people over the age of 30 have some form of gum disease, as compiled by the Center of Disease Control and Prevention. But as a common tendency to ignore, they remain unaware of it until it starts interfering badly in their daily life and activities.
So, if you’re experiencing any sign of gum disease, visit your dentist today who will examine your situation and if found positive, may prescribe you for a scaling and root planning, popularly known as dental deep cleaning; a painless, and smooth periodontal treatment procedure.
1. Types of Periodontal Disease
Some of the common types of periodontal diseases are:
- Chronic Periodontitis caused by gum tissue inflammation
- Aggressive Periodontitis which generally affects younger patients with no health condition other than the gum disease itself
- Necrotizing Periodontitis caused by systemic diseases such as HIV, immunosuppression, and malnutrition
- Periodontitis caused by Systemic Disease such as respiratory disease, diabetes, and heart disease
2. What Causes Periodontal Disease?
Bacteria in the dental plaque are the prime culprit that causes periodontal diseases. A dental plaque is a sticky substance that forms around in between your teeth and gum line a couple of hours after you’ve brushed.
However, it’s the cells in your immune system that start releasing substances as a response to these bacterial infections that cause a real problem – the inflammation. Inflammation causes the destruction of gums, periodontal ligaments or alveolar bone (jawbones that contain tooth sockets to hold your teeth).
The condition develops that leads to gum bleeding, which happens in the earliest stage of periodontal disease, and when your teeth start to loosen, you’ll know that you have entered the advanced stage.
There are some risk factors that contribute to a dental plaque that causes gum disease:
- Skipping brushing and flossing that causes the growth of bacteria in the mouth
- Smoking and use of tobacco
- Braces and bridges that cause your food to get stuck, inviting the growth of plaque
- Misaligned teeth gives space to food to get stuck which can’t be easily cleaned out
- Genetical susceptibility increases the risk of getting a periodontal disease (but can be kept in control with timed intervention of a proper periodontal treatment)
- Deficiency of Vitamin C as they are vital for healthy gum and teeth
- Medicines causing dry mouth can eventually lead to gum diseases
A recent survey by American Dental Association (ADA) found that most Americans have unusual flossing habits which are a reason to worry as it can cause the growth of bacteria in mouth leading to severe gum diseases. [Read the full report at ADA]
Your dentist will examine your teeth and gum and take X-rays. If the X-rays show a periodontal pocket (deep spaces around the teeth formed by destruction of supporting tissue and bone where bacteria live) of more than 4 mm, you’ve entered the earliest stage of periodontal disease. This is when you should consider scaling and root planning or dental deep cleaning, as recommended by your dentist.
3. Cost of Dental Deep Cleaning
Cost of deep cleaning of teeth in Shoreline and Milton, WA can be anywhere between $100-500. This cost typically includes medical exams and X-rays.
If you are also experiencing the above-mentioned symptoms for a while, don’t ignore it. The earlier it gets diagnosed, the better and easier solution you can have.
Visit Reign Dental, your trusted and expert periodontistÂ near Seattle area, Shoreline, WA and Milton, WAÂ for Periodontal disease treatments and wearing a perfect smile.
Reign Dental is one of the most sought after dental care providers in Seattle area to offer complete dental care. We are among a few dental clinics that provide a wide range of dentistry services including oral & maxillofacial surgery, TMJ treatment, Botox, orthodontics, periodontics and all other advanced dental solutions. Highly professional dentists working with us specialize in dental implants, bone grafting, smile makeover and oral surgery. We are well-known for our safe and patient-specific care approach. We offer affordable and quality dental care services. We make sure that our customers walk out of our clinic with a big beautiful smile.